Yan Cao Exposes Lack of Safeguards in Direct-Lending Programs at For-Profit Colleges

Yan Cao (’15), Fellow at The Century Foundation, was quoted in a New York Times piece regarding the consequences students face over a dangerous lack of regulation surrounding the direct student loan business model at for-profit colleges (“Left in the Lurch by Private Loans From For-Profit Colleges,” Mar. 25). Regarding the federal 90/10 rule allowing for-profit colleges to derive 90 percent of their total revenue from federal student aid with the remaining 10 percent from other sources (including higher interest direct loans from colleges), Yan noted, “In the case of these loans, it’s a pretty sure bet (that federal money) goes straight into the school’s hands.”